I found this recipe in my Hummingbird Bakery cupcakes and muffins book. One of my friends has rabbits called Peaches and Cream and so in order to celebrate their birthday these cakes seemed to be the answer! The peach is a hidden treasure at the bottom of each cupcake. Ensure you have people to help eat them though as they are very rich! Rabbits won’t help you, as they prefer carrots.
Recipe (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 120ml milk
- 120g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 400g tinned peaches
- soft brown sugar to decorate
- 2 tbsp milk
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter
- a couple of drops of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170oC
- Put the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and mix with a spoon.
- Add the butter and mix with a hand whisk until a sand-like consistency.
- Blend the milk in gradually with the whisk, until well combined.
- Add the egg and whisk again until the mixture is smooth.
- Line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- Slice the peaches and divide between the cupcake cases until the base of each case is covered.
- Empty the batter between the cupcake cases using an ice cream scoop – so much less stressful than teaspoons!
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the cakes spring back and are golden brown. If you put a cocktail stick in the cakes, it should come out clean.
- Once the cakes are cooked, leave them to cool on a wired cooling rack.
- To make the frosting, add all the ingredients into the bowl and mix with a hand whisk slowly until all the ingredients are combined. Then whisk on a faster setting for about 5 minutes.
- Ice the cooled cupcakes by spooning on a 12th of the mixture and swirling it around elegantly. If you prefer piping, fill a piping bag with the frosting and pipe on the topping.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top for decadence.
This is very extravagant but why not create only the best for pets? If you have any animals with foodie names, why not celebrate their birthday with a similar idea! Of course they cant eat them and what a shame. Its just an excuse to bake really….