I wanted to create a something mini because I can’t be eating desserts all the time. The pineapple upside down cake always looks so pretty and yet you rarely see individual ones out and about. Therefore I decided to adapt a larger version of the recipe and add a touch of milk for extra moistness. So this was kind of an experiment….but it paid off! And the recipe only uses one egg so it won’t break the budget either!
Recipe (serves 2)
For the base:
25g light brown sugar
2 pineapple rings
2 glacé cherries
For the cake:
50g caster sugar
50g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ tbsp milk
Extra butter for greasing 2 ramekins
- Melt the butter in the microwave for up to 30 seconds and then blend with the sugar until a paste is formed.
- Grease 2 ramekins.
- Spread the sugared butter at the base of the ramekins and about 1cm up the sides.
- Place a pineapple ring in each ramekin and arrange a cherry in the middle.
- Cream the butter and sugar of the cake mixture. Sometimes I zap the butter in the microwave for a few seconds as this saves so much time and is a cheat worth laughing about.
- Add the egg, vanilla and milk and beat until smooth. Do not over mix though!
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Divide the cake mixture between the ramekins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180oC for about 15 mins. Ovens will vary so you need to keep an eye on them! Don’t open the oven door for the first 10 minutes though as the little friends will sink.
- Ovens are like people, they are all different and each have their own personalities. Some are more efficient than others….and some have a mind of their own!
- When the cakes are baked (you will know this as when you place a cocktail stick in the cake, it will come out clean), carefully score around the sides of each cake with a knife. Then turn out onto a plate.
- Serve each pudding with a small scoop of ice cream.
I hope you like this recipe. Why not try having a go at them? If anyone has any suggestions of any other midget gem desserts why not share your ideas below!