We all love a Ferrero Rocher at Christmas time! I had an idea to recreate a similar thing but in the form of an energy ball and a vegan treat. It may just be the BEST recipe I’ve ever come up with and here’s why…. The bite is basically a hazelnut, cacao powder, and coconut dream surrounding a surprise hazelnut. The chocolate coating makes it luxurious and of course the obligatory chopping hazelnuts…. It is really so gooey and delicious, you wouldn’t think you were eating a vegan treat. The gooeyness comes from the sweet heavenly medjool dates and I think I actually now prefer these to Ferrero Rocher! I’ve frozen half of mine to save to eat when I need a little pick me up too!
Recipe (makes about 20 bites)
2 tbsp. cacao powder
1 teaspoon maple syrup
2 tbsp. coconut oil
20 extra hazelnuts for the inside (roughly 20g)
100g dairy-free chocolate
80g chopped hazelnuts to coat the bites
- Pop in a food processor the dates, 100g hazelnuts, cacao powder, maple syrup and coconut oil and blend until a ball forms from the mixing.
- Get 1 heaped tsp of the mixture and flatten it in the palm of your hand. Place a hazelnut in the centre and mould the flattened mixture around it. Repeat for the other balls.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave for 1 minute, stir and then a further 30 seconds. I find this so much easier than on the hob and it isn’t that scary if you don’t heat the chocolate for too long!
- Roll the bites first in the chocolate and then in the chopped hazelnuts. Leave to dry on parchment paper inside airtight storage containers. Pop in the fridge to firm up and set.
- Store in the fridge (or put some in the freezer) and devour when hungry! These should keep for a few weeks, but they probably won’t last that long!
Will you be making this recipe over Christmas?