I know it is January and people have indulged in Christmas food and New Year parties. Although this appears unhealthy, it is actually not that bad when served with salad and it is just the same as a normal meal. So I present to you cheesy beef burgers – homemade of course! I fancied making these recently after watching an episode of Masterchef, where the chefs had to cook them. I wanted to have a go at my own and the recipe tasted pretty good.
Recipe (makes 4 burgers – serves 4)
- 400g mince beef (I love Waitrose 5% fat mince)
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tsp English mustard
- 1 egg
- Olive oil for frying
- 4 brioche buns
- 8 slices of cheese
- 4 thick slices of tomato
- Mayonnaise of ketchup for spreading on the burger bun hat
- Salad and dressing to serve
- Cook the onions in the microwave in water, for 6 minutes. Sieve them to drain the water out and run cold water over them to cool them down. Drain the water away again. Cooling the onions prevents them cooking the meat. You may also need to spread them on a tray to cool them down. Pat them dry with some kitchen roll.
- Combine the mince, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and egg in a large bowl. Mix all the ingredients together with your hands until it can be formed into four equal sized patties. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Spread mustard on either side of each patty with a pastry brush (silicone ones are the best). Fry the patties for about 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Place the melted cheese on top and grill in a preheated oven on a medium to high temperature. Also grill the burger buns (sliced in half).
- Assemble the cooked burgers in the burger buns by placing the burger inside each bun. Top each burger with a slice of tomato and your choice of mayonnaise or ketchup.
- Serve with salad.
This dish is so easy and delicious and it need not be unhealthy if you use good ingredients and serve with a salad. Enjoy!
Follow my blog on twitter @sophlaetitia