I had people round for dinner and I wanted something I could prepare ahead of time and so I could spend more time with my guests. Scallops are really quick to cook – they only take a few minutes! Pea and mint are classic flavours and really work well with scallops. This dish is surprisingly filling too, especially served with garlic bread for a main meal dish. We were having pudding so I didn’t want to cook an epic meal for the first course!
Recipe (serves 4)
400g frozen peas
100ml vegetable stock
1 small shallot
generous handful of mint leaves
splash of cream
salt and pepper
wok or large frying pan
- Fry the shallot in a pan with the butter. Add the peas and vegetable stock and simmer until cooked.
- Simmer the mix for a further 5 minutes to infuse the flavours.
- Place the pea mix in a food processor with the mint, salt and pepper and splash of cream.
- Whizz up the ingredients until well combined. You can make it as smooth as you like by blending until you like the consistency. Add more cream to taste if you like more indulgence.
- You can heat the pea and mint purée nearer the time you serve and so this is what makes it a perfect dinner party food.
- When your guests are at the table fry the scallops for 2-3 minutes until cooked and then serve over the warmed up pea and mint purée.
- Serve with garlic bread if you wish. I rub garlic and drizzle olive oil over grilled bread. So much better than the shops!
Follow my blog on twitter @sophlaetitia