It is egg season and that means mini eggs! This year has also introduced the galaxy golden eggs. If you have not eaten any of these yet, then you really have to try them! They are delicious and have a golden coating – perfect for making an Easter even more fabulous.
These cupcakes are inspired by the golden colours and hence I went for salted caramel. I was intending to use mascarpone cheese in the topping instead of cream cheese but bought cream cheese by mistake! It wasn’t until after I made them that I had this revelation. It did work really well though so hey ho. You can always try it with mascarpone.
I also sneaked a bit of salted caramel inside the cupcake for an extra hidden surprise. I am really pleased with the pretty swirl of salted caramel I got in the topping by filling the piping bag differently (see how I did this below). I had seen Zoella use this technique when she made her “pupcakes” and felt inspired so decided to give it a go. I hope you enjoy the recipe. Let me know in the comments what you think and what you have baked this Easter!
Recipe (makes 12)
150g plain flour
150g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp baking powder
Cream cheese topping:
150ml double cream
180g cream cheese
50g icing sugar
Nigella’s recipe (All of the recipe was just the right amount for 12 cupcakes)
Decoration (per cupcake):
2 mini eggs
1 golden galaxy egg
(I bought 2 standard size packets of mini eggs and 1 of golden eggs and this was enough)
12 cupcake cases
- Make the salted caramel per Nigella’s recipe. Leave the cool and then cool further in the fridge so that it thickens and is ready to use. You might want to make this the morning or evening before.C
- Preheat the oven to 180oC
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (Top tip: if the butter is hard try popping it in the microwave for a few seconds).
- Gradually beat in the egg, vanilla essence and milk little by little using an electric whisk.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Using an ice cream scoop, dollop the cake mixture into the cupcake cases (1 scoop is normally about right per case).
- Bake the cakes for 10-15 minutes until they are bouncy to touch and a cocktail stick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of each cake.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the cream cheese, cream and icing sugar for the frosting. Beat until it has thickened until the desired frosting consistency – it wants to hold but also have a slight looseness about it.
- When the cakes are completely cool, dig out a small hole with a knife in the centre of each cake. Fill with some of the cooled salted caramel.
- Get your piping bag ready. Place 2 bands of salted caramel opposite each other in the piping bag (so they are like two thick lines). Then fill the bag with the cream cheese mix. This will create a swirly effect when piped.
- Pipe each cupcake outside in, in a circular motion.
- Top the cupcakes with 2 mini eggs and 1 golden egg.
I think these are really pretty and although they look like a lot of effort, the salted caramel is a really quick and simple recipe to follow. I love mini eggs and these new galaxy eggs are a little gem to 2016.
Follow my blog on twitter @sophlaetitia