Being An Introvert

What Is An Introvert?

Being an introvert has all these hurdles attached that living a life as one has to be taken in a different stance to someone who is not one. Being an introvert doesn’t necessarily mean shyness and so much stigma is attached to this. It means however that being around a lot of busyness and noise can tire us out and all we need is rest and a little quiet time. Does this sound familiar to you? Have you found yourself exhausted by a quiet catch up with a group of friends? Or have you found that busy shopping centre a little too overwhelming?

It is important to understand that we are not a minority and so many people these days are feeling the same as you. Blogging is such an industry where introverts can express themselves through writing rather than words, with time to put their thoughts across and a calmness to the approach. I have discovered so many bloggers I can relate to with those same views.

Regroup And Recharge

Some time to take care is needed and what I find works for me is a cosy evening snuggled at home with my favourite TV programme, book or person. I like spending time on my own and it helps me to regroup and absorb my thoughts. I also love to see my close friends and family but I prefer to talk to them in smaller groups as I can really absorb myself into the conversation and not get distracted by other people. Maybe there is a link to having an overactive mind but I am sure extraverts experience this too….

Take Time For You

Some tips I have learnt is to take time for yourself; only you can know how you are feeling. Do things out of your comfort zone but if it is not going to be something you enjoy then once you have tried it say no to those things in the future. We only have a certain amount of free time in this busy working world and so we need to make each day count and enjoy ourselves. So what if you are not like everyone else? That is the beauty of being whoever we are and balancing out the variety of different individuals in the world.

What are your thoughts on being an introvert?

sign-off1

1. 1st October 2017 / 1:50 pm

Grr I wrote a long comment and then it disappeared! However I’ll do it again because I wanted to say thank you for raising this topic because I think it’s important to challenge some of the stereotypes about being an introvert.
    It’s only now in my 30s that I’m embracing it. I’ve realised for example that I’m so much more productive now that I’m self-employed, working in my own office, than I ever was in a shared space with 100 people. Their constant noise and activity drained me.
    Sometimes if I have a really busy week with lots of social activities, I need to take a break and spend time either alone or just with my partner – otherwise I don’t feel good in a way that goes beyond just being tired. I need away-time to recharge and get my energy back. It’s like being with a lot of people drains my battery, but you probably wouldn’t know because I’m not shy or quiet, which are characteristics usually associated with introverts.
    I’ve also tried to look at this as a teacher, because I think that particularly in terms of language teaching, so many of the learning activities are geared towards people who thrive on big group activities.

2. 2nd October 2017 / 2:02 pm

Aww thank you so much for the lovely comment! So glad you enjoyed reading the post. I was a little apprehensive to write this blog but I am so glad I did now! I am so happy you have found being self-employed a bonus – I do too. I think it is so important for us introverts to take time away from busy activities and just be quiet and relaxed. I think teaching can use lots of energy too as you have to give your full attention so it is important to recharge! So glad you can get that balance though.

3. 4th October 2017 / 2:07 pm

I’m kinda a strange introvert because I can be really load and chatty when I’m around my close friends or performing and making videos but in real life I can get super quiet and I really enjoy my alone time.

• 4th October 2017 / 5:41 pm

Yes! When I am around my close friends too, I can be more confident and louder. I definitely think quiet time is needed and “me” time for busy minded introverts!

4. 2nd November 2017 / 9:18 am

I’m an introvert too and I do think that blogging in general is something that can attract a lot of introverts. In social situations I usually always feel relatively drained and to have a balance in life I have to make sure I have time to myself, to recharge and I guess ‘power’ back up again- you know?

Julia // The Sunday Mode

• 2nd November 2017 / 5:55 pm

So glad I’m not the only one here that feels drained after some social situations. I love meeting up with people but know that I burn out if I am with people 24/7. Totally agree with what you said about getting your power back!

5. 13th November 2017 / 11:30 pm

Awesome post 🙂 It does get tiring when people call me shy, which isn’t the case at all. Some of us just need extra time to get to know a person before we get comfortable enough to bring out our personality. Sometimes it does suck when I’m out with friends and towards the end just want to go home, curl up in a blanket, and tune out everyone. It’s taken me a while to come to terms with but I’m totally fine with being an introvert 🙂

• 14th November 2017 / 9:29 am

Thank you so much! Yes, I think being shy can be confused with being an introvert sometimes! I am still a little shy but I know what you mean about wanting to go home and recharge after being busy. It definitely takes the right sort of company and when you have a close group of friends and family that helps!