I make my vegan chilli quite often and yet I have never posted the recipe on my blog. I guess I thought it was too similar to the Naturally Sassy recipe that I thought people wouldn’t find it useful but I have had a few people request it so I thought I would finally tell you the recipe! I can’t take credit for the inspiration as Naturally Sassy is just amazing. Although this recipe originated from making her version, I feel like I have changed enough of the quantities and ingredients to make it a bit more suitable to my taste buds. I use hot chilli powder and so I have kept the quantity of that lower than what she suggests. I also find I like to use passata as part of my ingredients and find my version serves 6. This is great for when you have busy days and you have an instant ready meal you have premade in the fridge of freezer. I love how nourishing this bowl of goodness is and it is a great plant-based alternative to enjoy mid-week. It is incredibly good for you too with all the wholesome vegetables and protein from the quinoa.
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- Cook the quinoa as per the packet instructions
- Fry the onion, garlic, chilli powder, paprika, turmeric and cumin in a pan with some avocado oil. If you prefer to use coconut oil feel free!
- Drizzle a little water into the pan and cook the onion, garlic and spices for a further 10-15 minutes with the lid on until softened. Water is my top tip for steaming and keeping those onions nice and soft!
- Stir in the kidney beans, black beans and sweetcorn. Also add the chopped tomatoes and passata to the pan. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa and serve into bowls.
- Serve with sliced avocado and coconut yogurt.