I had some sprinkles in my cupboard and thought I better make something delicious with them. The star sprinkles were staring at me…. along with the chocolate popping candy. I have always been a fan of chocolate truffles and yet I had never had this in a fairy cake form…. until now! I hope you enjoy my invention. I kept the actual cake a simple vanilla sponge because otherwise things could get a little bit too indulgent! Let me know what you think in the comments below and I will do more invention posts.
Recipe (makes 18)
150g plain flour
150g caster sugar
3 tsp vanilla essence
4 tbsp milk
2 tsp baking powder
Chocolate truffle frosting:
100g dark chocolate (around 85% cocoa solids)
100g dark chocolate (around 70% cocoa solids)
100g milk chocolate
284 ml double cream
2 small splashes of vanilla essence
2 ½ tbsp milk
400g icing sugar
Sprinkles of your choice – I chose stars
Chocolate coated popping candy
Fairy cake cases
- Preheat the oven to 180o
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (Top tip : if the butter is hard try popping it in the microwave for a few seconds).
- Gradually beat in the egg, vanilla essence and milk little by little using an electric whisk.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Using an ice cream scoop, dollop the cake mixture into the fairy cases.
- Bake the cakes for 10-15 minutes until they are bouncy to touch and a cocktail stick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of each cake.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Heat the cream until boiling point and melt the chocolate by pouring over the cream. Set aside or in the fridge until cool.
- Beat the chocolate cream with the other frosting ingredients until a light and fluffy frosting is formed. You will need either a food processor (best to avoid mess) or an electric whisk.
- Pipe the frosting onto each fairy cake from the outside towards the centre. Decorate with your choice of toppings.
Let me know what you think about the cupcakes! Adding lots of milk to the cake mix may make it look sloppy but trust me it makes it extra moist! Sometimes a vanilla cupcake is all you need to pair with such a tasty topping.
Follow my blog on twitter @sophlaetitia