There are probably a lot of cupcake recipes going out at the moment and I wanted to make something a bit different…as I did fairy cakes last week. My boyfriend LOVES ice cream and white chocolate. So I thought…. why not make white chocolate ice cream! He’s already found out of course but you might be a bit sneakier about hiding it in the freezer. This recipe is INCREDIBLE! I’ve made it before and it is just so creamy and the best bit is you don’t need an ice cream maker to make it! Result. The best bit is that you can store it in the freezer and enjoy over several meals. It probably makes about 6 servings depending on your portion size! And if you don’t have a valentine, just make it for yourself! Why not, you deserve it. Perhaps you are having a night in with friends. They will love it too!
Recipe (serves about 6)
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp caster sugar
150g white chocolate
150ml double cream
Heart shaped sprinkles – I found some from TK Maxx
- Put the egg, egg yolk and sugar in a glass bowl and whisk until pale and mousse like.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave with about 3-4 tbsp. of the milk. Do this on short 20-30 second blasts.
- Heat the milk in the microwave until almost boiling (about 1 minute and a half) and then whisk into the egg mix until light and fluffy. Heat this in the glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. Keep whisking until the mixture has thickened. Be patient with this! This is the most boring bit as you have to keep persisting.
- Once thickened, stir in the melted chocolate and leave to cool on the side with some damp parchment paper over the top of the mixture (press down so it touches it). This prevents a skin from forming on the custard. You can also use cling film for this.
- Once cool, whip up the cream into soft peaks and fold this into the custard mix. Transfer to a tub and freeze for about 1 and a half hours.
- Give the mixture a good mix so it is smooth and refreeze until firm and ready to use.
This is so simple, it just requires a little patience and careful planning. There aren’t too many steps or ingredients and it is a perfect dessert to enjoy any time of year! I don’t have an ice cream maker so this is perfect for me. And it’s something a little different to chocolates and cupcakes for Valentines!
Follow my blog on twitter @sophlaetitia