Sometimes I want comfort food, but it doesn’t mean it has to be unhealthy. Aubergine can taste so juicy and it really stands out as the star of the show in this dish. For a bit of protein in this vegan dish, I found toasted flaked almonds worked beautifully, as well as adding a bit of texture. I also fancied making some homemade chips. They are so easy to do, and they taste amazing! I hope you like this easy mid-week meal. It is so yummy; you have to try it!
- Preheat the oven to 180oC
- Wash and slice the aubergine in half, removing the ends. Score the aubergine halves lightly and place on a baking tray with the skin facing downwards.
- Wash and slice the potatoes into chip size slices. No need for peeling the potatoes as skin on fries are delicious and you get more nutrients from the vegetable. You also get less food waste! Place the potato slices on another baking tray.
- Drizzle both the aubergine and the sliced potato with olive oil with a generous amount. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper too. For the potatoes, also add some dried thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the potatoes and loosen the aubergine so it doesn’t stick to the tray. Bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Mix together the miso paste and maple syrup in a small bowl and coat the aubergine halves with a back of a spoon. Cook the aubergine and potatoes in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a dry pan for 5-7 minutes. You will need a medium heated hob for this.
- Serve the potato chips and aubergine (skin faced down). Place the toasted flaked almonds on top of the aubergine.
- Tuck in and enjoy!
What do you think of this recipe?